My fair city is in the running for Southern Living’s contest “The South’s Tastiest Town”. And you gotta vote, because Durham has some awesome offerings when it comes to epicurious adventures! Right now we’re in first place, but it’s been close the whole way! You can vote every day between now and February 28th! Click on the pic below to vote!
Some of my faves?
- Well, for a romantic night out, nothing beats a night at Nana’s – and if okra is in season, see if the kitchen will whip you up a big bowl of the fried stuff for an appetizer!
- For a crazy sweet treat, check out the relatively new Rise Biscuits and Donuts. It’s so hard for me to pick a favorite, but the coconut cake donut is amazing. And the apple fritter is crispy on the outside and oh so yummy on the inside.
- Parker and Otis is a wonderful shop and eatery that Walker and I like to hit on the weekends. The shrimp BLT – yum. And their egg salad and pimento cheese competes with the best of them!
- For brunch, we usually go to Guglhupf or Elmo’s. My fave dish at Guglhupf are the eggs Benedict and Walker always goes for the pancakes. Mike loves the omelets at both places!
- Mike is a regular at Fosters Market (Owned and operated by The Sarah Foster) and Bull Street Gourmet. Both are gourmet food markets with fantastic sandwiches and daily specials. (He’s definitely a food snob, BTW)
- We’re actually staying in for Valentine’s Day tomorrow night (saving dinner out for a weekend) and Mike is picking up some awesome, gigantic burritos from Cosmic Cantina – “The Best Mexican Food on the Planet”.
Seriously, this doesn’t even scratch the surface (speaking of – there’s a great bakery downtown called Scratch) of the places to go and I’ve not even mentioned the Food Trucks! No wonder I can’t lose any weight!!!
What about you guys? What’s your favorite Durham dining destination?